Book Blog

I ask you all to head on over to my Book Blog as well. . . And spread the word!!

http://ruthiebookblog.blogspot.com/

11.9.09

Remember

Here's to the memory of all those who lost their lives on that day. . .
9/11. I still remember the horror of watching those towers fall to the ground on TV. I was walking to class at BYU with Joe that morning. I was pregnant with Hyrum. My mom was driving to Connecticut to bury my grandmother, and I knew that at about the time the attack occurred was about the time she should have been driving into New York. I was so sad, so scared. I waited hours to hear that my mom was okay. They had been on the Tapenzee (sp?) bridge when all the signs started up with "New York CLOSED" and they saw the smoke. It was truly a sad day in our nations history.


Here's to all those who have died since. . .
This is Joe's favorite flag, and so in honor of all those who have died as a result of 9/11, a moment of silence and honor for you. And to all those who are left behind. . . (this was written for a wife, but I think husband can be substituted)

The Silent Ranks

I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens,
But I am in the military in the ranks rarely seen.
I have no rank upon my shoulders.
Salutes I do not give.
But the military world is the place where I live.

I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get.
But my husband is the one that does,
this I cannot forget.
I'm not the one who fires the weapon,
who puts my life on the line.
But my job is just as tough. I'm the one that's left behind.

My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man
and the call to serve his country, not all can understand.
Behind the lines I see the things needed
to keep this country free.
My husband makes this sacrifice,
but so do our kids and me.

I love the man I married. Soldiering is his life.
But I stand among the silent ranks
Known as the military wife.

No comments: