Book Blog

I ask you all to head on over to my Book Blog as well. . . And spread the word!!

http://ruthiebookblog.blogspot.com/

26.8.10

The First Week of School

I tell you the first week of school is always interesting but when you add in that mom started Graduate School two days before the kids actually went back to school, let's just say it's been INTERESTING!! We've really had some challenges. When I applied to the program at the University of Missouri the graduate department really led me to believe that the program was online. Well, yes all classes use the internet, but not all of them are online. Joe and I had discussed it and we didn't see any other option so I chose to stick with it. Then some babysitting issues arose with a few of my weekends that I would have to drive all the way out to Omaha for class and so I had to completely rearrange my schedule. I was able to get into three classes that are completely online this semester. The problem is that to continue with this program means driving to Omaha ALOT. I racked my brains with what to do. This is my dream, and I knew I couldn't put it off any longer. So finally I went to the ALA website and did a search. Well wouldn't you know it a couple more schools have moved to online programming. One in particular is entirely online, and even when there is "class", it's digital. I was so excited, even more so when I inspected their program and saw they had everything I was hoping for and in state tuition for online students!!! So with the start of school, I also had to scramble around and get my application together for another school. I had to notify everyone that had given me a recommendation and ask them to help me again (and since they are such wonderful women, they of course were willing to help). Now I sit back and try to get down to work, all the while stressing and hoping that I get into this other program so that I can continue with my education.

Now the kids, they've had a great couple of days. Actually they only started yesterday, but if they come home even half as happy as they were yesterday, it will be wonderful. I ran from morning to night yesterday, but it's so worth it to see those big smiles on their faces.

Emma all ready for school. My little first grader.
Together. Dan was so mad because Emma's backpack was blocking him.
And my big third grader.

I totally forgot my camera yesterday, largely in part because I was so worried about making it on time. The stupid city thought it would be intelligent to rip up the entire road that their school was on right before school started. We have to sit anywhere from 5-10 minutes waiting for our turn just to turn into the school parking lot, because the road becomes a one lane road. I really feel bad for the masses of school buses who are trying to get to another elementary school only a block away. I mean it will be wonderful when it's done, but you would think they could have removed their heads from their backsides and done it as soon as school got out last school year instead of right before it started up again. Here's hoping it doesn't take several years to finish. And here's to surviving the rest of the year!!

No comments: