Book Blog

I ask you all to head on over to my Book Blog as well. . . And spread the word!!

http://ruthiebookblog.blogspot.com/

31.8.10

August Books 2010

1. Choke 327

Author: Obert Skye. Second book in the Pillage series. Irresponsible teenagers. Dragons. Need I say more?? I really like Obert Skye books.

2. Shiver 392
3. Linger 362

Author: Maggie Stiefvater. Love. Werewolves. The struggle to stay together against all odds. Yup, I loved this one too. I had to reread the first in the series to remember how it had ended, the second made me cry. Of course, it doesn't take me much to cry over a book.

4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 309
5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 341
6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 435
7. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 734

Author: J.K. Rowling. So I decided to reread Harry since the final movie is coming out soon. I can't pick up just one book in a series, somehow it doesn't feel like I actually read the whole book that way, so I always have to start from the beginning. To me, a series is one whole living organism. Take it all or don't take it at all. I enjoy these books every time I read them.

8. A Thousand Never Evers 301

Author: Shana Burg. This is a book I had to read for my Children's Library Materials class. You'll start seeing more and more of these on here. I won't include my textbooks and the massive amount of article reading in my count, but I will write up any fiction or nonfiction books I have to read. This book deals with the social injustices in Mississippi during the time of the Civil Rights Movement. The heroine is a twelve year old, African-American girl. It was a really wonderful book. When I read books like this, it really hits home to me, just how little has changed. Perhaps not for color, but our attitudes in this country haven't really changed, we just direct our hate elsewhere. Not that there aren't still people who have prejudices against those of color, but I think I see it most nowadays with Religion. The hate that spreads like wildfire over someones personal beliefs is mind boggling to me. This country indeed has Freedom OF religion, I wonder if and when we will ever have the right to have Freedom FROM religion if that is our choice?

9. Mockingjay 390

Author: Suzanne Collins. Dystopian novel. If you don't know the Hunger Games series, I don't know if I can help you. This one, I balled the entire book. I cried at the end of both the others, but this one tore me apart on practically every page. I wonder, are we really that far away from that world? I really don't think we are. Even now I struggle with the idea that I brought children into this world. There is good, but mostly we are surrounded by hate and prejudices and war. I can only hope to prepare them for what they will have to deal with in their lives, protect them without sheltering them. In the end, I have hope. . .

Total for August 2010 -- 3591
Total for 2010 -- 35,326

As always I welcome questions. If you want to know more about any book, just ask. Happy Reading!!

No comments: