Book Blog

I ask you all to head on over to my Book Blog as well. . . And spread the word!!

http://ruthiebookblog.blogspot.com/

1.7.10

June 2010 Books

The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid 516

New series by Rick Riordan--you know the dude who wrote the Percy Jackson series!! Okay, so I loved Percy Jackson, big shocker considering I'm a sucker for any book that deals with the supernatural--well, at least usually. I'm sure there are some out there I would never read, but generally, I've always been fascinated by myths and legends and this new series doesn't fail me there. Instead of ancient Greek myths, we are talking Egyptian, which are equally fascinating. The only problem being that it's the first book and so I will be waiting forever to really "finish" this series. However, Riordan sure has a gift for creating a compelling story.

The Necromancer: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel 389

Author Michael Scott. This is the fourth book in the series, and this is another, that if you are as impatient as me, may need to wait until the series is over. I tell you though, he sure knows how to weave a story that makes you anxious for more. I started this book and it was over way too quickly. His books mainly deal with Irish/Norse mythology. And I can't wait for the next one. . .

The Keys to the Kingdom:
Mister Monday 361
Grim Tuesday 321
Drowned Wednesday 389
Sir Thursday 344
Lady Friday 303
Superior Saturday 278
Lord Sunday 317

Author Garth Nix. The nice thing here is that this is a complete series. They are very interesting books, dealing with the tools of making or the keys by which "heaven and earth" were created and what happens when those that are suppose to care for both go very wrong. Then a mortal boy of "no consequence" is randomly chosen to fix it all, and the path he must take to fulfill the will of the architect. It was a fun series with an unexpected end.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner 178

Author Stephanie Meyer. Okay, I admit I love Twilight. I'm not going to argue with you about it's merits one way or another. I'm sick and tired of hearing how lame people who love Twilight are!!! Totally, completely sick of it!! So if you don't like it, that's your business, but don't insult me!! Okay, that's my rant!!! Sorry, I really am tired of it. There are many things in this world that people like and others don't; I just don't get why people who don't like or understand something feel the need to condemn or make fun of those who do, especially when it comes to what people choose to read. At least they are reading. . . To me, it's the act itself.

Anyway, this novella wasn't very well written but it was an interesting insight into the previous books. You definitely feel for Bree even more than you do from what you get in Elipse. It was a quick read, and if you are a Twilight fan, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The Book of Ruth 328

Author Jane Hamilton. This is apparently one of those Oprah Book Club books. Me, I saw it on Savers used book shelves and decided to get it. I'd heard it was good and plus, it's the book of me!!! ;) It was a rather an intense book, and very sad, but it was very well written, and a compelling book. If you grew up in a small town, you will really get this book!!

Stoneheart 450
Ironhand 386

Author Charlie Fletcher. This is a trilogy. (I actually finished the third book earlier today, but since it's technically July, that will be included next month) Really a fun series. The books are set in London, and deal with the supernatural as well. I love most books set in the UK, largely because I would LOVE to live there. I love the family aspect to these books. They were alot of fun.

Total for June 2010: 4560
Total for 2010: 28,883

Well, as always, if you have a question give me a holler!! I can't really tell you if you will love a book because we are all different, but I would be happy to answer any questions about anything I read.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I wasn't that impressed with Bree Tanner. Kind of interesting, but not too great. I think we agree.