Book Blog

I ask you all to head on over to my Book Blog as well. . . And spread the word!!

http://ruthiebookblog.blogspot.com/

10.1.08

Spotlight: Emma Sheryl-Ann Merkley

Emma was born on the 11th of February 2004 at LDS Hospital in Salt Lake City, UT. She was 7 lbs. 7 ozs. at birth. Emma was our little surprise. She was suppose to be a boy. When she was born the doctor didn't even notice at first that she was a girl. After about a minute or two, he looks at her and says "I think something is missing." Joe wasn't present at her birth because at the time he was stationed at Ft. Huachuca in Arizona and couldn't come home for her birth. I had to call him down there and leave a message for him at the desk. They put up a sign that said "It's a Girl!" and he couldn't believe it. I never wanted to have a little girl until Emma came along. She was also suppose to be named Sheryl Ann, that was the girl's name we always had picked out, but when I held her in my arms, I knew her name was Emma. We just took her original name and made it her middle names. Sheryl for Joe's mom who died when he was a boy and Ann for his Stepmother who raised him. We honor them both with her name. Plus we got the added bonus that my Mom's middle name is Ann.

Emma was the easiest baby. She started sucking her thumb almost immediately and slept through the night when she was only three weeks old. The only issue with her is that she absolutely refused to sleep unless she was laid on her stomach. It use to scare me to no end but if I didn't put her on her tummy she wouldn't sleep.

Hyrum loved his sister from the moment he saw her. He would always put out his arms and say "hold it." He wanted to hold and love her every minute. They've been best friends ever since.

Just a note on her slideshow: I would have pictures of her as a baby but unfortunately I didn't have a digital camara at the time and so I don't have any of her as a baby on the computer, they are all in my scrapbooks.

Emma is an amazing little girl. She's been a daddy's girl since the moment she met him at 6 weeks old. She's a bit high maintanance but we don't mind. She's our only curly headed little one too. Most of the time, her hair is totally out of control but even that can't take away from how beautiful she is. She is so smart. She plays school with her big brother and learns everything she can from him about what he is learning in Kindergarten. She loves to dance and play with Hyrum. She loves her two little brother as well and is a wonderful big sister. She loves to give Dan kisses and hold him. With Porter she colors all day long. She is quite the little artist. We all love her and are so blessed to have our little surprise with us every day. This February we celebrate her 4th birthday and so to her, her mom says, "I love you and Happy number 4!"

No comments: