Book Blog

I ask you all to head on over to my Book Blog as well. . . And spread the word!!

http://ruthiebookblog.blogspot.com/

8.2.08

My Cup Runneth Over


I just needed to take the time to thank the Lord for my multiplicity of blessings. My greatest blessing is my family. I have had on my mind my dear friends who have or are currently struggling to have a family. Sometimes I feel so guilty because I have not experienced the same difficulty. But then my heart swells in the knowledge that no matter how long we must wait, someday all those who desire children, will have them. And also, having children doesn't make one a "mother" and not having them doesn't exclude anyone from that great title.

As members of the church many don't read the Apocrypha, but one day I was reading it and came upon the most beautiful passage: "For the first mother of your nation Sarah, was she not barren even till her eightieth year: And yet even in the end of her old age brought forth Isaac, in whom the promis was made a blessing to all nations.
Rachel also, so much in favour with God, and beloved so much by holy Jacob, continued barren for a long time, yet afterwards was the mother of Joseph, who was not only governor of Egypt, but delivered many nations from perishing with hunger.
Who among the judges was more valiant than Samson, or more holy than Samuel? And yet both their mothers were barren." (Mary 2:6-8)

I don't know if anyone can find comfort in that passage, but it soothed my heart to know that no matter the reason, no matter the time, God is aware of the struggles of every dear sister, every dear daughter on this earth. He knows and understands the yearnings of our hearts. Not many people know this, but when we were trying to conceive Emma, I had a miscarriage. I was so thankful to have a dear friend with me at my appointment, Joe couldn't be there, because nothing ripped at my heart like hearing that my child had died. Unlike so many others, I was able to conceive again only after a few months, but I will never forget that little one. I am so thankful for my children. The bless and enrich my life. I am so thankful for a wonderful husband who has brought so much love into my life, not just through our children, but through himself as well. My family is my inspiration, they make me want to be a better person, a better wife, a much better mother. To all women this day, and especially to those whom I love, I want you to know that motherhood is a mantle for us all, with our without actual children in our home. I love you for your inspiration to me. I love you for your strength, and I pray for you each and every day.

God bless us all, women, sisters, mothers, whatever you may be. Today my cup truly runneth over with gratitude for the blessings that I have and also for the wonderful examples of love and sacrifice that I have all about me. Thank you for your inspiration, I hope that I can always return the favor.

1 comment:

Desi said...

What a beautiful entry Ruth. Thank you for sharing such beautiful thoughts. The 8th is such a special day for us and it was very sweet of you to make such an uplifting coment on my blog and write such encouraging words on your own. Heavenly Father created us all to have "mother hearts", some of us just get to use them on our own children and others get to use them more on other's children.