Book Blog

I ask you all to head on over to my Book Blog as well. . . And spread the word!!

http://ruthiebookblog.blogspot.com/

13.3.08

Girls Night Out

Tonight was great. Melinda and I went out to eat and then just sat around and talked for hours. Most people probably wouldn't think that was all that exciting but for me it was just what I needed. A night, without the kids, to talk like big people. You know I really love being a mom. There isn't anything other than being Joe's wife that I love in this world more than being a mother, but it really was absolutely wonderful to spend the evening with a real friend, talking like big people, like I use to do with my friends before I had kids. It really helped me to remove a massive weight off of me. I don't know about most people, but for me, I really need friends, and maybe making that plural is too much because all I really need is one really great friend. My husband is my best friend, but for me I need more friends than just him. He's wonderful to talk to but there are things only girlfriends can talk about. I haven't had that for a really long time and so for me, tonight was the best. We went to the Gateway in Salt Lake and it was so funny. I sware every lesbian in Salt Lake was out tonight and there, making out. I would be in the middle of a thought and look up to see two women kissing. You know that kind of stuff doesn't really bother me but the last time I saw two people of the same sex kissing was when I was 12 in Greenwhich Villiage New York, not the middle of Utah. Even though it's Salt Lake, there are some things you don't really expect to see so openly in Utah, especially in that number. One couple would have been one thing, but there were at least three couples there kissing each other. Anyway. I just had to sit down and express my gratefulness for all the people in my life that made this night possible. Thanks to my kids' grandma and Aunt Jenny for watching all the kids and thanks to Melinda for being such a great friend and for a great girls night out.

2 comments:

Desi said...

Having girl friends is essential to a healthy mind I think! I very much enjoy getting out with the girls and hanging out. I spend a lot of time wishing for more of those eveinings! Glad you got a well deserved chat session!

Jenny and Jon said...

No problem. I'm glad that you two had fun!